Raleigh Alimony And Post-Separation Support Attorneys
Being a stay-at-home mother is a full-time job. Far too often, the supporting spouse takes that for granted and doesn’t feel like you are entitled to spousal support. On the other side, if an alimony claim has been filed against you, we can advise you as to what a fair obligation is. In some cases, factors may exist that could forgive your obligation altogether. Whether you’re separated or going through a divorce, our Raleigh alimony attorneys will ensure you are treated fairly.
In North Carolina, there are many factors that are used by a court to determine the amount and duration of alimony. These factors are:
- The relative earnings and earning capacities of the spouses
- The ages and the physical, mental and emotional conditions of the spouses
- The duration of the marriage
- The standard of living of the spouses established during the marriage
- The relative needs of the spouses
- The contribution of a spouse as homemaker
- The relative education of the spouses and the time necessary to acquire sufficient education or training to enable the spouse seeking alimony to find employment to meet his or her reasonable economic needs
- The extent to which the earning power, expenses, or financial obligations of a spouse will be affected by reason of serving as the custodian of a minor child
- The amount and sources of earned and unearned income of both spouses, including, but not limited to, earnings, dividends, and benefits such as medical, retirement, insurance, Social Security, or others
- The marital misconduct of either of the spouses through the date of separation
- The contribution by one spouse to the education, training, or increased earning power of the other spouse
- The relative assets and liabilities of the spouses and the relative debt service requirements of the spouses, including legal obligations of support
- The property brought to the marriage by either spouse
- The federal, state, and local tax ramifications of the alimony award
- Any other factor relating to the economic circumstances that the court finds to be just and proper
Though it may appear daunting, our attorneys can help you wade through the confusion. There are certain filing deadlines that must be adhered to protect your rights to alimony. If you are in the process of getting divorced, do not delay in contacting an attorney to preserve your rights.
Our team of attorneys at Guirguis Law provides clients of all needs with equal representation, equal respect and equal effort. We believe in offering clients effective legal assistance to achieve their goals. Take advantage of our initial consultation, multilingual services in English, Spanish and Arabic, and our client-focused international practice. Contact us today to get started.